Following the re-launch of Derventio eXcel in November 2009, the following criteria apply for consideration for the full Squad:
- Female swimmers must be aged 12 or more and male swimmers 13 or more by the date of the next ASA Nationals (Age Group or Youth as appropriate).
- Swimmers must have achieved a time within 3.9% of a National Qualifying Time (excluding 50m events) by 30th September (relating to the previous year’s NQTs) or, if achieved after this date, relating to the current year’s NQTs.
- Further swimmers may be invited into the Squad at the recommendation of a Development Club Coach and through consultation with the Derventio eXcel Head Coach.
- All swimmers who qualify through the above criteria must meet the minimum training requirements of eight sessions per week (BAGCATS) and nine sessions per week (Youth/Senior). Individual training plans will be discussed and produced that will be age/gender/event specific.
- Swimmers must have the professional attitude expected of a performance level athlete and should conduct themselves in line with the Derventio eXcel Code of Conduct at all times.
- Focus of training is preparation for National competitions and selection to British squads/teams.
- Squad status will be reviewed at least twice per season. The review dates may change and will be published annually at the start of each season.
- The Squad will be selected by a selection committee made up of the Derventio eXcel Head Coach (chairman) and the Development Club Coaches.
The following transition arrangements apply to swimmers who were members of Derventio eXcel prior to the re-launch in November 2009 and who do not fully meet the new criteria:
- Existing part-time swimmers who finished in the top ten of any event at the 2009 ASA National Age Groups can remain part of the Derventio eXcel Squad irrespective of age. Their training plan will be in agreement with their Development Club Coach.
- Other swimmers who have not fully met the new criteria will be given an appropriate timescale to achieve the required standards by the Derventio eXcel Head Coach.
Disability Squad Selection
Disability Squad Selection will be gained only by swimmers with a valid IPC classification certificate and who, in the opinion of the Head Coach & the British Disability Swimming coaching team, show the potential to gain international selection.
Their training will be as part of the fully inclusive programme that we run and their training hours/volumes will be set by the coaching staff in conjunction with the swimmer.
As of 1st September 2008 we are adopting a simplified attendance criteria:
- Age Group swimmers (at Nationals the following summer) will be required to swim a minimum of 16 hours or more if needed per week.
- Youth & Senior swimmers (at Nationals the following summer) will be required to train 20 hours or more per week.
- Individuals may be asked to do slightly different depending upon their individual needs; this is part of the coaching team’s philosophy of coaching the individual within the team.